Healthy Sleeping Habits

10/19/21

    The average adult should get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. However, 8-10 hours is optimal. Some helpful tips for sleeping well are to wind down before bed, gradually adjust the time you try to fall asleep if you are trying to fall asleep at a different time of night, and try your best to be consistent with the times you fall asleep and wake up each day. For example, you will not be able to catch up on sleep during the weekend if you deprive yourself of sleep during the week. Also, some helpful tips for winding down before bedtime are "turning off electronic devices, turning down lights, and doing calming activities (like taking a warm bath, reading, and relaxation) that will help your body get sleepy." It's important to take these sleeping tips into consideration because poor sleep can lead to issues such as "diabetes, depression, heart problems, high blood pressure, lowered immunity, and obesity."


Cleveland Clinic. (2021, February 25). How much sleep do I need? Health essentials.                 https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-much-sleep-do-i-need/. 

Comments

  1. I agree sleep is very important. I have never thought about taking a warm bath and relaxing before bed, but I will defiantly have to try that. I usually just plop down into bed and pass out. It is crazy to think that just a couple poor sleeping habits can lead to all of those health concerns. I should stop sitting on my phone while I am in bed, but it has just become to much of a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good advice and information. I have always had the bad habit of being on my phone right before bed, and it made me notice how much it affects my sleep in a negative way. When I'm on my phone at night, I tend to stay up longer than I should. Then, I'm exhausted in the morning because I stayed up until 2am. I also really like the idea of reading instead, so I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aerobic Exercise Recommendations

Improving Flexibility